[arch-mirrors] Setting up a mirror
Erik Bye
2017-04-28 20:30:42 UTC
I need some help setting up a mirror.
Anyone got an example of a sane rsyncd.conf?

Dir listing at:
http://172.104.140.140/

(will hook up a domain soon)

Could someone test: rsync://172.104.140.140/repo
Tyzoid D
Erik Bye
2017-04-30 11:24:20 UTC
Sure, you can just mail it to me, and I'll have a look, thanks.

You guys know if there is a particular geographic location there is need of
a mirror? Is there need for another?
Or any other infrastructure needs at the moment?

Frank: Not using docker, but thanks.

BTW: IP won't respond now, it was just up shortly for testing.
Florian Pritz via arch-mirrors
2017-04-30 11:47:20 UTC
Post by Erik Bye
You guys know if there is a particular geographic location there is need
of a mirror? Is there need for another?
Or any other infrastructure needs at the moment?
We are always looking for mirrors. If you can provide them in multiple
locations that's great. If you can only provide one, but you can choose
the location, I'd prefer one in a somewhat remote location.

I'd suggest to look for mirrors in the country or in neighbouring
countries on our mirror list[1]. You can click on the "Country" to sort it.

In general Europe and the US have quite a lot of mirrors. China has
some, but it's quite a large country and I think that some of them only
have 100Mbit/s uplinks so maybe additional mirrors there could be
useful. Africa is hardly represented in our mirror pool, but I don't
know much about the IT situation there so maybe there are no users for
such mirrors. Use your best judgement.

Thank you for offering other infrastructure, but AFAICR last time this
came up we were leaning more towards being independent by renting
servers ourselves. Replacing a mirror is easier than replacing a server
and this way we are also more flexible in terms of hardware or location
choices. You're welcome to donate money though which we can then use to
buy/rent servers ourselves.

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/

Florian
Tyzoid D

Frank Villaro-Dixon
2017-04-28 21:23:08 UTC

If you use docker, I made a Docker image for an archlinux mirror:
https://github.com/Frankkkkk/docker-archlinux-mirror

Cheers,

Frank
--